Surleigh Tara / General
Mission of Christ: John 19:30God has a plan for redemption that includes making Abraham’s descendants a great nation, through whom all the families of the earth shall be blessed. This plan is fulfilled in Jesus Christ, who is the Messiah foretold by David. Christ’s ministry lasted three and a half years, after which he was crucified. On the third day, he rose from the dead, defeating death itself.
I. What is the mission of Christ?
The mission of Christ is to seek and save the lost. He came to earth to establish the Kingdom of God and to be the light of the world. Christ’s mission was to fulfill the will of His Father, which was to save humanity from sin and death. He did this by living a perfect life, dying on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins, and rising from the dead to defeat death. Through His death and resurrection, we can have new life in Him. Christ’s mission is also our mission, as His followers, to seek and save the lost. We are to be His witnesses to the world, sharing the Good News of redemption and new life in Christ.
II. Background of God’s Redemption:
Ge 12:2-3 “I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and you all the families of the earth shall be bless.”
1. Creation Story Genesis
•Imago Dei (In God’s Image) Gen 1:27
•“it was very good” Gen 1:21
2. The Fall of Man Gen 3:15
3. The Flood Gen 6-9
4. Be Fruitful and multiply and fill the earth Gen 9
5. Tower of Babel Gen 11
6. A Call of Abraham Gen 12
7. The Patriarchs Gen 12-50
9. King David to Messiah (Matt 1)
10. Three- and half-year ministry (Gospel Books)
11. Crucifixion, τετέλεσται (John 19:30)
12. Resurrection (Matt 28)
III. Ministry – Jesus carried out His mission for three and half years.
a. Matt 12:50 “50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.””
b. John 14:10 “10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.”
c. John 14:15-17 “15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. 17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.”
d. Seven Last Statements:
1. John 19:26 “26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.””
2. John 19:27 “27 Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.”
3. John 19:28 “28 After this, when Jesus knew that all was now finished, he said (in order to fulfill the scripture), “I am thirsty.””
4. Matt 27:46 “46 And about three o’clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?””
a. Str 2241 Eli My God (Matt 27:46)
5. Mark 15:34 “34 At three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?””
a. Str 1682 Eloi My God (Mark 15:34)
6. Luke 23:46 “46 Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Having said this, he breathed his last.”
7. John 19:30 “30 When Jesus had received the wine, he said, “It is finished.” Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”
IV. Accomplishments – What did Jesus accomplish through His mission?
a. He revealed the Father – Matt 11:27 “27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”
b. He fulfilled the OT Scriptures – Luke 24:44 “44 Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you—that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.”
c. He defeated Satan and his works – Col 2:15 “15 And he disarmed the rulers and authorities and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in it.”
d. He destroyed death – Heb 2:14 “14 Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil”
e. He opened the way to God – John 14:6 “6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
f. He reconciled us to God – 2 Cor 5:18 “18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation”
g. He brought salvation – Luke 19:9 “9 And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham.”
V. Application: What does all this mean to you and me?
1. What is the mission of Christ?
2. What did He need to do in order to save humanity?
3. How can we have new life in Christ?
4. What is our mission as His followers?
5. Can you go and share what you learned today with two people outside of church? Please record their feedback.